Thursday, January 31, 2013

My New Craft Room!

It's finished! After 3 weeks of painting, furniture building and organizing, my new craft space is 99% finished and ready for crafting. Lots of photos ahead... you've been warned!

First up, some before and after photos of the space. We bought this house from Jeff's parents, and they've moved into the attached granny suite. These photos were taken before they moved out, so the space still had all of their things in it. The room used to be two rooms separated by a hallway.

First side of the room, Before:

After:
Those white shelves on the ledge still need to be put up on the wall to the left of the window. And I need to figure out what I want to do for curtains.

Before:

After:


And the other side, Before: 

After:
In the seating area, behind the half-wall, there is another coffee table (both from Ikea) that holds a tv and my Wii and exercise equipment (step, yoga mats, weights, Wii fit, etc). And that's my Shih-tzu puppy, Mya, on the couch :)

 Before:

After:

Now for some details (I warned you, there are a lot of photos!). I got a lot of the furniture from Ikea. The nearest store is in Montreal (a 10 hour drive), so I had to get it delivered. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it was worth it. My yarn is now living in a new Ikea Expedit. The I-was-so-excited-to-find-them matching bowls are from the Dollar Store, and the glass owl vases are from Stokes.


From here you can see the yarn swift Jeff made me, on top of the shelves. The brown glass owl I found at Marden's in Calais, ME. In the back is my antique Raymond sewing machine.

This little bookshelf holds my Bibles and study guides, some of my childhood favourites, a photo of my grandparents on their wedding day and a Peanuts Hallmark ornament (my favourite Christmas show).

This antique chair was refinished by Jeff's uncle and given to us as a wedding gift 14 years ago. It's not sturdy enough to sit on, so it holds my sewing basket.

The main crafting table. The trestle table legs are from Ikea, and the top is a sheet of plywood cut down to 4'x6'. The legs are adjustable if I ever want the table lower or higher. Right now it's the perfect height for me to be able to cut fabric without bending over and straining my back. I found the bar stools on Kijiji for $50 for the 3. The basket on the right holds scrapbooking supplies, while the one on the left has toys for when my knitting girls bring their little ones. 

Against the back wall behind the table, you can see the cedar chest where I store my fabric, and the vintage sewing box I found recently which is identical to the one my mother had when I was growing up.

This is my sewing corner. In the cabinet is my Japanese made Brother machine, on the shelf is the Japanese made Coronado. The shelves hold patterns, attachments, interfacing, my iron, and boxes of photos waiting to be scrapbooked. On the wall are a corkboard and magnetic dry erase board from Staples. It holds my grandmother's photo/memorial card. I have many fond memories from when I was a little girl, watching her sew clothes for my Barbie dolls. On the floor is a White sewing machine I only use when I need a zig zag stitch. 

 Also sitting on the shelf are these two little sewing mice, which I gave to my grandmother when I was about 5 or 6, and I inherited when she passed away a few years ago.

On the ledge in the corner is this cool tin-foil art I made from a tutorial on Make It... a Wonderful Life's blog, which I found via Pinterest. The kids and I each made one as an art project this week, and I loved mine so much I framed it :)

My owl Scentsy burner.

Buttons, sorted into Starbucks Frappuchino bottles:

A smaller work desk. On the ledge are my Cricut machine, glass jars filled with paper flowers, baskets of scrapbooking supplies. 2 more magnet/dry erase boards and another cork board to hold inspiration/notes. The shelf on the wall hold my Cherished Teddies collection from my younger days.

On the wall just to the left of that desk, a couple more baskets of scrapping bits, and a pegboard, painted to match the room. Pegs/basket hold adhesives and scissors. I got the paper holders from a local woman who used to run a scrapbook store out of her garage, for $1 apiece. The case on the floor holds file folders of paper scraps sorted by colour, and other misc.

And finally, in two bowls on the ledge dividing the two halves of the room, I keep a jumbled mess of ribbon.

And that's it! Thanks so much for letting me take you on a tour of my new craft space. I'm so looking forward to having a place where I can be creative, relax and hang out with my friends. Do you have a craft space of your own? Leave a link in the comments, I'd love to check it out!




4 comments:

  1. WOW!! Looks Awesome!!!!!!! Makes me want to reasemble my own creative space!!

    I have some of those plastic trays for paper if you want them, you are more than welcome to them:)

    Great job! Can't wait to see it in person next Saturday!:)

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMH I love it!!!! I call chair!!! No, wait. I want the center stool at the big table. Na. Center seat in the couch. Oh forget it. I'm moving in!! Super dooper awesome happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great craft room and so organized!!
    I have a small knitting room and unfortunately it does not stay organized.
    and since it is small I constantly find my knitting escaping to the other rooms in the house.... piled on the table in the dining room and all over the coffee table in the living room. and my sewing machine lives neglected in a corner in the bedroom. maybe I can use your pictures as inspiration to sort things out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of your wonderful space is the chair holding the sewing basket, perfect touch and so motivating.

    Liza the Blogless

    ReplyDelete