Wednesday, July 4, 2012

WIP Wednesdays and a Cross-Country Adventure

My poor blog was left neglected and in the middle of a facelift. Life was trucking along normally up until a couple of weeks ago, when my husband came home from out west for a week long visit. He's been out there working, on the other side of the country, for over a year, due to lack of local union work. It's been a really tough year on all of us, having him away from home. This visit home was particularly difficult, as we had expected the job to be done by mid-June, so we had been anticipating his being laid off and coming home for good (or at least until his unemployment ran out, if he couldn't find a local job).

So, he'd been home for 4 days. It was Sunday and he was due to fly out on Wednesday. We were at Tim Horton's having coffee with my parents around suppertime, lamenting the fact that Jeff would most likely not be home until the end of the summer. My mom commented that it was too bad we could go spend the summer in Saskatchewan with him. It was, almost comically, a real "Lightbulb Moment". Jeff and I looked at each other, and I said "well, why can't we?", and thus started the craziest 18 hours of my life. My parents took our cat, Jeff's parents took our dog, Jeff's aunt agreed to foster our fish. We bought a bike rack for the new bikes we'd just purchased, loaded up the van, and were on the road for a cross-country adventure by noon the next day. Please don't bring up the mess this mad dash left in our house, I really don't want to think about it. Ugh!

So, now we're all settled in, renting an extra room from Jeff's (kinda looney) landlady in a rinky-dink town just outside of Regina. Despite the (really really dry) heat, the freak thunderstorms and the multiple tornado warnings, my heart is so happy it could just burst. I have my family together again, where it belongs <3 I'll talk more about our trip in another post, we really do live in a beautiful country.

Now, for something completely different (any other Monty Python fans out there?)! WIP Wednesdays! I just discovered this fun meme via Ravelry, and I'm excited to join in.

Since it's Wednesday, I'm gonna jump right in! I have two WIPs on the needles right now. I'm trying to get them both finished before the Ravellenic Games start on the 27th!

First up is a Ribbed Lace Bolero, in a pale yellow Berroco Pure Pima cotton yarn. (Ravelry project link). I really want to get this finished, so I have something to pair with the sleeveless tops I recently bought.


The other is my Tao Scarf, made with Patons Silk Bamboo in a lovely green. (Ravelry project link). Sorry for the quality of the phone photos. I left the battery charger to my good camera at home and haven't had a chance to buy a new one yet (ugh!).

Be sure and check out the links to the other WIP Wednesday participants at Tami's Amis :) Later!

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing - that you just picked up and went. Hooray for you and your hubby (and the rest of the family for pitching in) for just going for it. Welcome to WIP Wed. It's a great bunch of crafters who share so much encouragement and kindness. I really like the lacy openness of both projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear that you will be spending more time with your husband. Houses can always be cleaned later :).

    ReplyDelete