Friday, March 9, 2012

Fringe, Baby!

 I have several friends expecting babies over the next few months, and have been browsing for ideas for taking newborn portraits. One of the things I came across was this amazing photo prop, made up of lots of various different yarns and ribbons draped down the sides of a basket. With baby snuggled up asleep inside the basket, the bright colours and funky textures make for a really fun photo. There are lots of people out there selling these props, for $30+ each. I, of course, figured I could make one myself :)

I drug out some old Lion Brand CottonEase yarn in a neutral brown colour to use for the main blanket portion, but after several false starts realized that knitting just wasn't going to give me what I was looking for. So I enlisted one of my good knitting friends who also crochets to help, and in about an hour my vision was a reality. Thanks, Alli!

 The fringe is made up mostly of a skein of Bernat Jessie, which is basically a skein of a bunch of different novelty yarns and ribbon. To that I added 2 colours of Moonlight Mohair and Cupcake yarn from my stash, and a few other novelty yarns I picked up at the dollar store just for this project. Attaching them was as simple is looping and knotting several random strands together through the crocheted holes along the edges of the blanket.

I'm absolutely thrilled with how it turned out, even better than I imagined it. And I just love how the colours POP! Can't wait to get my first baby in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment